Complicated in a Simple Manner

This is a blog about me and my complicated, simple life. I am an easy person because I have no preferences, and I'll always try anything once. But, I'm also difficult because I'm so easy. Confused yet? Read and enjoy the ups and downs of my everyday life.

Wednesday, January 04, 2006

An Evening at the Movies

I have always been fond of movies. They can transport you to another time, entertain, amuse, bring out all of your emotions. My dad was a big fan of westerns, so I watched my share of Shane, Little Big Man, and everything inbetween. I am partial to a good scare. My favorite actor growing up was Gregory Peck. The man was larger than life and was and always will be a joy to watch. Hollywood has so many movies to choose from, depending on where your taste in movies lie. It is a shame that one thing Hollywood lacks is talent. It would maybe take one hand to name the list of talented actors. Actors that can make you cry, scream, laugh, ponder. The name at the top of my list needs no introduction, he is Johnny Depp. I first saw him in A Nightmare on Elm Street, something about him intrigued me, which was probably his good looks. Then he starts making movies that challenged him. Not everyone has pulled off a musical, but he managed it in Cry-Baby. A musical about a rebel hoodlum who wants to be a singer and drives the girls crazy by being able to make a single tear run down his cheek. He plays a robot made by a scientist in Edward Scissorhands. In From Hell, he is an inspector, chasing down Jack the Ripper. He is Ichabod Crane in Sleepy Hollow, one of my favorites. Johnny even manages a couple of black and white movies, Dead Man and Ed Wood. Dead Man I had to watch and enjoy a second time, like I did with Secret Window. Watching them again, I noticed things I had missed the first time and wondered why I didn't pay attention to details the first time. But, Johnny Depp movies are something I never tire of seeing. His movie Ed Wood fascinated me to the point that I wanted to see an actual Ed Wood movie. Ed was a producer, but not any producer. Hollywood has given him the title as the very best, worst director and producer of all time. For Christmas, my beloved managed to find an Ed Wood boxset. It contains all 5 movies ever produced by Ed Wood. I have watched a couple of them, and I would have to say he is a bad producer, which made watching the movies even more enjoyable. His movie Glen or Glenda actually had insight. There it was in the '30's, and here was a man who enjoyed wearing women's clothing. So what else could the man do, he produced a movie about a man who loved wearing angora sweaters and women's underclothes. Of course, the movie was about him, he was letting the world know his secret, which wasn't heard of back then. I admire the man and I will enjoy his movies, as corny as they are. OK, back to the man of the hour, Johnny. He takes on roles and emerses himself in them. I still need a couple Depp movies to complete my collection on him. When Night Falls is a movie I very much want, he plays a transvestite. I have a goal to acquire all of his movies. So far of all the ones I own I can't say that I dislike any of them.
Off on a tangent now, I am also a big fan of B rated movies. You know, the cheesy ones. Frogs, Evil Dead, which by the way let me tell you brought tears to my eyes the first time I saw it. And that was because it scared me. Then after I had watched it a couple times, I started to see the humor and bad acting in it. I really detest war movies and sport movies, but Full Metal Jacket is one of my favorites as well as Any Given Sunday. Well I don't detest them, I just don't go out of my way to watch them. I don't like watching the movies the critics choose, and I don't like watching movies everybody else raves about. Everyone has their own likes and dislikes. I don't like watching Adam Sandler or Pauly Shore movies because it seems they act the same in all their movies, so once you've seen one of 'em you've seen 'em all. That's what I love best about Johnny Depp. He has never acted the same way in any movie he has ever made. You should watch a couple and see if that isn't true. His mannerisms, voice, looks are always different and fascinating. He is truly the one man who can call himself an actor. Women world wide are in lust with Mr. Depp, I would call it love, but really now, all they see is the man on the screen, they don't know him as a person, they are in no way "in love" with him even if they think they are. I, on the other hand, am in awe of his talent. But I still have no illusions, if the man walked up to me on the street, my tongue would become a giant cottonball and I would try to form a sentence and I would end up sounding like an idiot. He would walk away, shaking his head.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home